Friday, February 5, 2010

Homer.


Gordon Homer Campbell, my great-great grandfather. Born 1888 near Lowesville or Little Piney River, Nelson Co. Va. The eldest son of Thomas Jefferson Lee Campbell and Lizzy J. North. Married Ruth Cash Tucker, 1909 and died 1950, Pittsylvania Co. Va.
I could go on for pages about his life so I will only include these 3 dates at the moment. As a genealogist it sometimes seems that a person's birth, marriage and death are all that remains of them generations later. Homer is quite different for me though. Over the past 10 years I have taken every opportunity I could to gain biographical and personal information about him while all the time dreaming of what it would have been like to talk to him, see him or just be in his presence. I remain very close with his two youngest sons who, along with my grandfather, his eldest grandchild, have provided me with invaluable information and stories about Homer's life.
Words can not describe how much this man, whom I have never met, means to me. He is almost, single-handedly, responsible for generating my interest in genealogy and family history. After finding the first image of him, pictured above, in about 2000, I was hooked not only on Homer, but on genealogy. He remains, my 'favorite' ancestor. My Homer.

No comments:

Post a Comment