Friday, October 9, 2009

Ruth, Raymond, Reba and Ralph c. 1916.

My great great-grandmother, Ruth Cash Tucker Campbell with her three eldest children, Ralph, my great-grandaddy, Gordon Raymond and Reba Odessa. Ruth was the youngest of all my great great grandparents and was younger than several of my great grandparents on my mother's side.
Born in Amherst Co. Virginia in 1889, Ruth married Gordon 'Homer' Campbell in 1909. After 1916, Ruth and Homer moved to Lynchburg where Homer started a number of successful stores. In 1929, their only daughter, Reba died at the age of 14 after a long illness. The depression hit Homer hard and he was forced to move the family down to Pittsylvania Co. Va, where he took up the life of a share-cropper. At the time of her death in 1974, Ruth had been widowed for 24 years and buried two of her children, her eldest, Ralph, having died in 1971.

No comments:

Post a Comment